Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A little green, anyone?

Here's a little gem to make you giggle:

Yesterday morning the boys were endlessly creating MORE Christmas decorations for our home. Iggy was sure to point out to me that he was "recycling" by drawing on the backs of paper that had already been used for the computer. Then Iggy says to me, "Mom I have a great idea how we can help the environment."

I said, "Really, what is that?"

He said, "We can cut up all this paper into streamers and paint it green. Then we can let it go outside so it can blow around."

Me, totally confused, asked him (rather politely) "Hmm...how is that going to help the environment?"

Iggy says "Mom, it would be green."

He's been hearing everyone talking about being "green" lately...and figured they meant putting green stuff outside. When I explained to him that being "green" meant doing good things for the earth, and then reminded him of examples...and said it didn't necessarily mean putting green things outside, the kid looked at me like I had six heads.

"Mom," he said. "I just don't get it. Why do they call it being green? Why don't they just say helping the environment? That's stupid." And then he huffed off.

I agree my darling. Its a good thing you learned early that everything in America has to have a creative title or worthy buzzword. Even as a writer, I don't understand it myself.

No comments: