Monday, December 21, 2009

so, instead....

We had many peaceful, magical plans for learning about and celebrating Winter Solstice today.

Life, however, had its own plans.

Although our piratey sword carrying boys tried their darndest to defend the house from illness, sickness somehow weaseled its way in. So we now sit in the middle of sneezes, coughs, dizzy stumbles, sore throats, not hungry, pleeeeeeease sit by me Mama, but I don't waaaaaaana throw uuuuuuup, toss and turn and can't sleep, freezing, sweating, temperature taking, lay on the couch and watch old cartoons. And I mean OLD cartoons. (They have magical healing power, I am told.)

We could still make borax snowflakes stationed on the couch.

I could hang out our ice ornaments in trees specified by Iggy and Ooky while they lay on couches with eyes barely open.

I could read to them from Winter Sosltice by Ellen Jackson (a really good book).

We could still discuss weatherlore and imagine how these sayings came to be.

We could still fasten our wishes and hopes for the next year to a lovely log and add it to the fire already in the woodstove instead of building a giant bonfire in the backyard.

Or...

I could keep all these treasures in my back pocket for another day.

We could just rest.
And snuggle.
It might be peaceful.
And magical.
So then, I guess it all works out in the end. ;)

Happy Solstice. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Ruralmama said...

I hope you guys are "wellest" soon!

Anonymous said...

Happy Solstice and I hope the little ones are feeling better.

My hatchling is now 13 and I've been looking forever for a book on solstice for a kid....I'll have to check that out!

:)

Stephanie said...

Oh no!
Hopefully it's gone quickly!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you LOTS of old cartoons with the most magical of healing powers!!